Sunday, August 15, 2010

Government In Your Bathroom and Car

Buying your first house and moving out of state is a unique experience.  Maybe I just feel that way because that is where I am in life but to be sure there are more than a few things to be learned in the process and almost as many to be detested.  Most are the result of government intervention into that which they have no reason to be involved with. 

Shortly after moving in I learned that the showerhead didn't work.  Not a problem, I ran to Home Depot and bought a new one.  As I perused the instructions I found an interesting statement along the bottom in small type:  This product meets federal standards for GPM and psi.  GPM, as I learned later, stands for gallons per minute.  Federal law decrees that showerheads may have a maximum of 2.5 GPM and at no greater pressure than 80 psi.  Fortunately the law was largely unenforced except for those unlucky to sell nonconforming showerheads, such as Paul Coombs of Zoe Industries,  in states that had laws that mirrored the federal statute.  However the Wall Street Journal reports that this could all change soon.  Some "rain-fall" showerheads emit as much as 12 GPM.  Some showerheads that aid disabled people could also be in violation.  Many older units installed in schools and gyms could also run afoul of the law.  The proponents of the law claim this will save water.  It might, although some people may choose to take longer showers after turning in their nonstandard heads.  It would also undoubtedly reduce water usage to pass a law saying no one may shower for longer than 15 minutes, or to limit people to one shower a day.  A faucet that leaks twice per minute will waste over 100 gallons of water a year, maybe the government should mandate random home inspections as well.  As always the government is making a token effort to control people's behavior in one specific and business unfriendly fashion while not doing much at all to solve the problem.  I wouldn't want a "rain-fall" showerhead even if it was legal.  I fixed all the leaky faucets in my house when I moved in not because I am worried about the planet but because I didn't want to pay for 100 gallons of water a year that I was gaining no benefit from.  Water costs money and many would choose to use a showerhead that is economical.  Do we really need a law that would prevent those willing to pay a little more for a higher volume of water per minute from having it?

Shortly after replacing the water head, I had a similar situation with my new toilet.  My old one was an older model which used 3.5 gallons per flush.  New toilets must be "low-flow" toilets that only use 1.6 gallons per flush.  Although it is not illegal to operate an older toilet, it is illegal to install them if your old one breaks.   "Low-flow" toilets are more economical but less effective.  Once again, it is a choice that is taken away from consumers by government busybodies. 

Federalism is one of the great things about America.  Each state can pass its own laws independently of the federal government as long as they do not contradict eachother.  The framers envisioned the federal government to pass basic laws and leave the details to the states.  Unfortunately, the federal government got in the business of details and states now regulate even further.  After returning to the DMV for my license plates, I was confused.  I was only issued one plate.  I had previously had two in New Jersey.  Only a rear plate is necessary for most states, I came to realize.  Problem is when I bought my car in New Jersey, the plate holder was mounted to bumper.  After removing the New Jersey plates, as is required by law, I ended up with this:


I am not really a car person so I'm not furious that my car has prominent nail holes in it now but why do states regulate cars down to the details of numbers of plates?  What about cars sold to out of state used car lots that don't have matching laws?  A cop trails someone before pulling them over, so what is the need of the front plate?  It's OK though, I can now hang a vanity plate on the front, I was thinking of something like NOCHANGE in this holder:

No comments: